Many thanks to The Pulse 2016 for publishing Jane Robbins of the American Principles Project for co-authoring Dr. Effrem’s article titled: Nanny State Preschool Expansion — Another Reason the ESEA Rewrite Should Be Voted Down. Here is an excerpt:
Even results from the one study that purports to show long-term benefit are still described as “dismal” in the mainstream press. There is simply no persuasive research to countervail this massive evidence.
But politicians and the education establishment cling to the concept of preschool. Advocates of Common Core and other progressive-education philosophies want to extend government tentacles to ensnare ever younger children. The managed economy and managed society can be achieved more quickly if toddlers are removed from their homes and herded into government preschool, where the uncontrolled influences of parents, families, and religion can be replaced with others more likely to advance government goals.
What should be done instead? Perhaps listen to researchers such as Dr. William Jeynes of UC-Santa Barbara, who identified three of several important factors that significantly improve the performance of minority students relative to white students (closing the “achievement gap”): intact families and religious faith, phonics instruction, and real parental involvement. Having government go even further to replace parents doesn’t work and will never work.
If politicians — including presidential candidates — are serious about improving education, they’ll reject the empty promises of invasive, ineffective, harmful, federal preschool programs. Instead they’ll listen to parents who innately understand that their children will develop better in the care of people who love them than with the government. The candidate who leads this fight against relentless government “solutions” in education will reap the political benefits.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Assessments + Testing (16)
- Bullying/Sex Education (5)
- Calendar/Announcements (4)
- Common Core Standards (66)
- Curriculum + Standards (53)
- Data Collection and Data Privacy (28)
- Early Education/Nanny State (64)
- Federal Education (94)
- International Education (3)
- LGBT Issues in Education (4)
- Media Appearances (4)
- Mental Health (25)
- Planned Economy (5)
- Politics of Education (11)
- State Education (81)
- Testimony/Presentations (15)
- Uncategorized (4)
- Unions (10)
Education Liberty Watch Projects
- American Principles Project
- Cato Institute
- Conservative Teachers of America
- Constitutional Coalition
- Eagle Forum
- Minnesota Advocates and Champions for Children
- Missouri Education Watchdog
- Restore Oklahoma Parent Empowerment
- Stop Common Core
- The Pioneer Institute
- Truth in American Education
- What is Common Core – Education Without Representation